CLICK HERE

ALINA CHAU




Alina Chau 周曉芬 is an acclaimed author and illustrator. She worked in the animation and gaming industries for a decade. Her credits include best-selling games and most notably, the Emmy Award-winning Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series.

Alina's unique cultural heritage strongly influences her artistic and storytelling voice. Having grown up in Hong Kong in an Indonesian-Chinese family during the British colonial era, her creative vision is a fusion of diverse cultures. She creates stories inspired by the natural world, which turn childhood daydreams into immersive environments full of distinctive flora and fauna.

Her debut graphic novel, Marshmallow, and Jordan, received the Junior Library Guild Gold Standard Award. It was selected for the Read Across America 2022 and the Texas Library Association’s 2023 Maverick and Little Maverick Reading Lists. She also illustrated numerous acclaimed children's picture books, such as The Rise (And Falls) of Jackie Chan, Lunar New Year, and The Nian Monster, which received the 2018 APALA Picture Book Honor. Alina also developed In the Spirit Of a Dream, a collaborative project, which she also illustrated.

Website - alinachau.com
Instagram - @alinachau
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/alina.chau




What initially sparked your interest in illustration, and how did you start your career in this field?

I used to work in animation as a 3D animator. After work, I enjoyed drawing and painting to relax my eyes after spending so much time in front of a computer. During the weekends, I loved getting together with other artists for sketch crawls. One day, a co-worker recommended I enter the Totoro Forest Project Art Show at Pixar. When I started painting, I did so for pleasure and did not envision it as a career path. My first art show was the Totorro Art Show, which opened up a new world. I began taking painting more seriously and participating in other art exhibitions. Over time, I began to receive some attention for my artwork. Galleries, studios, and publishers approached me for gigs. With time, this side gig grew bigger, and I could not maintain a full-time job and work on side projects simultaneously. At that point, I decided to give art a try. I quit my day job and went independent. At the time, I did not know what I was doing, trying everything from conventions to making toys and merchandise. Eventually, I discovered children's book illustration was my passion.




Are there any specific styles or mediums that you prefer to work with? How would you describe your artistic style?

My preferred traditional medium is watercolor, but I also enjoy sketching and utilizing Photoshop or ProCreate for post-production. Over the years, my style or voice has evolved. Color and whimsy remain significant themes in my work. But in recent years, I have developed a more sensitive awareness of using visual languages to represent a broader cultural and social diversity spectrum. 



Can you walk us through your creative process? How do you approach a new illustration project from start to finish?

Since the book illustrations are narrative-driven, I will read, digest, and comprehend the story before starting work. Before sketching and designing a story, I researched everything related to the story. As soon as I understand the story, I will sketch a rough draft in Photoshop and share it with the art director. We would discuss ideas and make improvements and adjustments. We will proceed to the final illustration once we are all satisfied with the sketches. For easier teamwork and communication, I would create my illustrations with layers for easier post-production editing.



How do you stay inspired and motivated in your work? Are there any specific sources or practices that help fuel your creativity?

I keep regular work hours, take lunch breaks and exercise regularly. My experience with the pandemic taught me how important keeping a healthy mind and body is. Whenever my brain needs a break, I let myself do something fun that has nothing to do with books or art. If I'm not working, this means hiking, playing with my dog, hanging out with friends, or being a couch potato. 


Do you have any favorite illustrators or artists who have influenced your work? Are there any emerging talents in the illustration industry that you find particularly inspiring?

That's hard to list. Each project is different. I research everything related to an upcoming project, from background design to costumes and characters. My look library would include not just illustration inspiration but also photography, architecture, historical references, social media trends, etc. Technology lets us see amazing new artists and styles from around the world. Commercial brands and well-established artists used to dominate or curate art styles. But I love how it's now easier to discover art from different cultures, ethnicities, beliefs, values, and voices. Whenever I have the opportunity, I enjoy exploring new artists and art forms that are unfamiliar to me. It helps me to push myself to grow and get out of my comfort zone.



Have you ever faced creative blocks, and if so, how do you overcome them?

Quite often! I like sharing ideas, discussing, and brainstorming with friends. Talking out loud or having someone show you a different perspective often helps.


Sometimes it helps to take a break, get away from the problem, and return to it later with fresh eyes.




Are there any specific projects or goals you're currently working on or hoping to pursue in the near future?

I'm working on my second graphic novel right now.

I'd love to illustrate all kinds of books and explore and grow as an author. As an author, I'm still figuring out my voice.  I'd love to write and illustrate picture books and more graphic novels!! 


What advice would you give to aspiring illustrators who are just starting their journey in this field?

The art industry is changing and evolving at a faster pace than ever before. Today, there are more outlets and opportunities to share your own voice and vision, which is empowering. As much as it is important to learn from other artists and from the past, it is equally important to explore and discover your voice and potential. Do not be afraid to be yourself and embrace your uniqueness.





Is there anything else you'd like to share about your work or the illustration industry as a whole?

Two new picture books I illustrated are coming out later this year. 

Love Like Chocolate is written by Tracy Banghart and published by Little Brown. Based on the author's family history, this book is a sweet story about interracial adoption. The story is filled with heart and delicious chocolate treats, just as the title suggests.



One Perfect Plan: The Bible's Big Story in Tiny Poems is written by Nancy Tupper Ling and published by Penguin Random House. It's one of the most challenging illustration projects since I have to pack epic biblical stories into a picture book while keeping the narrative respectful, inclusive, and accessible.







Previous Post Next Post

نموذج الاتصال