CLICK HERE

MATT HALEY



The son of a renowned portrait artist, Matt was drawn to art from the time he could hold a pencil. By the age of 16, he was already creating his own comic books and garnered his first professional comic art assignment drawing “Star Trek” for DC Comics at age 20, which led to a long career illustrating the likes of “Batgirl”, “Superman” and “Birds Of Prey” for DC Comics, as well as “The Defenders” and “Iron Man” for Marvel and comics for numerous other publishers, which ultimately led to a long creative partnership with “Avengers” and “Spiderman” creator Stan Lee, helping to create the hit TV series “Who Wants To Be A Superhero” and developing numerous superhero properties with Mr. Lee.

Matt’s long history with DC Comics has allowed him to create artwork for numerous DC and Warner Bros. efforts, including the TV series “Gotham”, the movie “Justice League”, a comic book version of “Wonder Woman ’77” depicting TV star Lynda Carter, and even an animated cartoon for noted designer Jean-Paul Gaultier for Paris Fashion Week. He currently consults for large companies like Microsoft by creating comic book-style characters and concepts. 


http://www.matthaley.com
http://www.instagram.com/matthaleyart





What initially sparked your interest in illustration, and how did you start your career in this field?

I started drawing comics professionally at age 20 on “Star Trek: The Next Generation” for DC comics, after sending in a set of art samples. I was attending college at Eastern New Mexico University and after meeting fellow artist Tom Simmons, we decided to submit art samples to editors at the San Diego Comic-Con. This led to my being hired to do classic Trek art samples, and then a gig on a ST: TNG annual. 


Comics was always my career goal, from the time I was in short-pants, and it really was the best training I could have gotten on the job. Didn’t study art in school, quit college to start working in comics professionally, and sort of kept on doing it. Drawing comics for a living was the best training to allow me to pursue other art careers once digital art tools took hold.




Are there any specific styles or mediums that you prefer to work with? How would you describe your artistic style?

Not anymore. Used to describe my art as “naturalistic” which came from comics editor Anina Bennett. These days, I can draw in any style as long as I have a bit of time to sketch and work out the specifics of that style. Right now, I draw portraiture which usually comes from photos of the subject, so the style is probably fairly naturalistic.



Can you walk us through your creative process? How do you approach a new illustration project from start to finish?

Well, right now it’s drawing portraits live on stage! The process is very simple - I pick a photo that speaks to me, and I sketch it lightly on a piece of illustration board beforehand, which takes about thirty minutes. Then, the show itself takes about ninety minutes, I start inking and coloring the piece and keep going until the show ends. It’s been so much fun to get fast at art - in the old days, I was a deadline buster, but these days I’m having to slow myself down to fill those 90 minutes with drawing so the audience can see the process.




How do you stay inspired and motivated in your work? Are there any specific sources or practices that help fuel your creativity?

Don’t have a ton of other job skills, so…! Last year I was working flat-out for Microsoft on two large contract projects, so everything was digital. This year, so far, it’s mostly been on paper, and it’s been so refreshing! 




Do you have any favorite illustrators or artists who have influenced your work? Are there any emerging talents in the illustration industry that you find particularly inspiring?

That’s a tough one. Early on, it was Neal Adams and a lot of the ‘70s comic artists who drew like him. One of the first Batman stories I recall loving (likely in a reprint) was Walt Simonson’s MANHUNTER. Became obsessed with him and his style, though it doesn’t really show up in my art. James Sherman, Gil Kane… lots of ‘70s comic artists. Loved Patrick Nagel’s work when I was in college. More into photographers these days, my favorite being Minor White. 



Have you ever faced creative blocks, and if so, how do you overcome them?

All the time. Artist’s block is a lot like writer’s block, I think - when you have nothing to say, you can’t write (or draw), but honestly, it’s the discipline of drawing every day, even if one doesn’t feel like it. 



Are there any specific projects or goals you're currently working on or hoping to pursue in the near future?

Yes, but honestly can’t say anything about them. Right now, it’s live art. 



What advice would you give to aspiring illustrators who are just starting their journey in this field?

...with the train that is “AI” barreling down upon us, I’d say “Be sure you can draw with a pencil and paper.” Seriously. Be able to do a finished piece of work that someone might pay money for, without digital help. That’s it. To beat high-tech, go low-tech.



Is there anything else you'd like to share about your work or the illustration industry as a whole?

I miss comics terribly. Still dream about doing them, in fact. but it’s a hard way to make a living. If there was a way to pay the bills doing it, that’s where I’d be. Just so time-consuming, you know? I sort of fell into commercial work for many years because I’d gotten into digital art very early on and it made me competitive, but having been freelance this whole time… it’s not for everybody. Be able to do several different kinds of art disciplines well, it’s a lifelong learning process. Don’t expect you’ll become an influencer or whatever. As for marketing oneself… still figuring that one out! 

Previous Post Next Post

نموذج الاتصال